Complaints and Commendations

Commendations & Complaints

This page provides information on how to contact our agency to commend a Public Safety employee or to file a complaint.

It is always nice to hear about the good work performed by members of Rohnert Park Public Safety, both sworn and professional. Commendations can either be verbal or written that are intended to bring an employee’s exemplary attitude, actions or performance to the attention of his/her supervisor and to become a permanent record in their employee file. We are interested in hearing about the excellent service or noteworthy behavior of one of our employees. Commendations mean a lot to our employees and it goes a long way to let an employee know about them and their service.

Commendation/Complaint Form
Commendation/Complaint Form in Spanish

Or send your letter to:
Tim Mattos, Director
Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety
500 City Center Drive
Rohnert Park, CA 94928

Personnel Complaints 
All law enforcement agencies in the State of California are required by law to have a process by which a citizen may make a complaint against Department’s personnel. This pamphlet will assist anyone who has occasion to make a complaint against any member of the Department of Public Safety.

Commendation/Complaint Form
Commendation/Complaint Form in Spanish

The form can be submitted by mail, in person, or by email to [email protected]. If you have a complaint and are not sure how to proceed, please call the on-duty Watch Commander at (707) 584-2600. Here are some of the questions we frequently encounter regarding our complaint procedures and processes:

What is a Civilians Complaint?

A civilians complaint is your opportunity to address whatever issue or concern you may have about a Department member’s performance. You can make a complaint about anything that concerns you. It will be taken seriously and handled appropriately by supervisory staff.

Who Can Make a Complaint?

A personnel complaint may be made by anyone. However, it the complainant is under the age of 18, we require that the complainant be accompanied by a parent or an adult.

Will I Have to Testify If I Make a Complaint?

A complainant does not normally have to testify in any formal hearing. During the investigation you, along with all witnesses, may be questioned concerning the incident. It is essential to any investigation to ask all pertinent questions and obtain factual information. Once an investigation is concluded, a disposition will be determined.

How Can a Personnel Complaint Be Made?

We encourage you to make your complaint by telephone, by mail, or by email to [email protected]; however, in-person is also an option. The complaint may be made at the Department of Public Safety, or another mutually convenient location. The Department is primarily interested in learning of your concerns about law enforcement conduct or a need for improvement in our delivery of services.

When Can a Complaint Be Made?

A complaint may be made 24 hours a day. After normal business hours, a personnel complaint may be registered with any supervisor or the on-duty Watch Commander, or by calling (707) 584-2600.

What Happens After I File a Complaint?

The complaint is received, reviewed and assigned to a supervisor for further investigation. If the supervisor is able to resolve the complaint after examining all the facts and circumstances, you will be notified.

If the complaint requires further review, it will be forwarded to the Director of Public Safety for a formal recommendation and then to the affected Division Commander for a final determination. You will be notified in writing the disposition of the complaint.

Each allegation shall be classified with one of the following dispositions:

Unfounded- When the investigation discloses that the alleged act(s) did not occur or did not involve department personnel. Complaints which are determined to be frivolous will fall within the classification of unfounded.

Exonerated- When the investigation discloses that the alleged act occurred, but that the act was justified, lawful and/or proper.

Not Sustained- When the investigation discloses that there is insufficient evidence to sustain the complaint or fully exonerate the employee.

Sustained- When the investigation discloses sufficient evidence to establish that the act occurred and that it constituted misconduct.

What Happens If I File a False Criminal Complaint?

We invite civilians to bring their concerns regarding law enforcement practices and services to our attention, however, anyone who alleges that a crime was committed and reports that to a peace officer, knowing the report to be false, could be charged with a misdemeanor.